If you have witnessed or learned about something illegal at work and reported it, you may be experiencing retaliation or punishment, subtle or obvious, or you may be afraid that someone is planning to pay you back by firing or discrediting you. Such situations can be extremely difficult to deal with, as they involve your livelihood, your career, and your reputation. We can help.
What does Whistleblower Retaliation Look Like?
Retaliation against whistleblowers occurs in subtle and varied ways. The main question is has anything changed since you made a report of wrongdoing to an employer? If you feel that you are being treated differently, we can help you evaluate your situation and take appropriate steps to stop the conduct or get relief for you.
- criticized your performance in ways that have never happened before
- questioned your judgment in ways that have never happened before
- treated you differently than your colleagues
- measured your performance inaccurately
- set you up to fail
- denied you the feedback needed from your boss to do your job
- left you out of meetings or conversations to which you should have been invited
- overlooked you for a promotion or opportunity
- denied you opportunities you used to have or that others have been given instead of you
- demoted you
- moved you from an office to a cubicle
- denied your training
- treated you with hostility
- limited your access to managers or mentors
- discounted or ignored your reasonable complaints
- put you on a performance improvement plan
- removed your job duties one-by-one
- changed your work schedule in a way that is less desirable for you
- shunned or ignored you
- assigned you to do more difficult or less desirable tasks than before
- required you to train someone who you suspect is your replacement
A critical first step in protecting yourself from employer retaliation is to seek the advice of an experienced employment lawyer who fully understands the law — sooner rather than later.
Attorneys Who Fight Against Whistleblower Retaliation
Contact the attorneys of Halunen Law. We have dealt with hundreds of retaliation cases, and we can advise and represent you in even the most difficult employment matters.